Thursday, October 11, 2012

Butternut Squash Soup recipe

Some have asked for "my" Butternut Squash soup recipe. I found the recipe a few years ago in a flyer. I cut it out and after a number of uses, I can hardly read it due to the drips and drops of cooking. So it's good to write it out so I will always have it.

I always saw these uniquely formed vegetable in the grocery store but never felt exotic enough to buy one. I was actually scared of them!! Scared? Yes!  Every recipe I found to use it made mention of cutting and peeling the butternut squash first. Have you ever tried to cut a butternut squash, let alone peel one?? Those things are ROCK hard!! Good 'ole Google told me a quick easy trick of how to accomplish that task. Since then, I have bought these things by the armloads!

So here's the recipe in pictures:

Ingredients:
1 Butternut Squash, peeled, de-seeded, chopped (don't worry, I'll share the trick I learned in a minute)
1 can of Evaporated Milk
1 onion, chopped
1 potato, peeled and chopped
2 TBSP of butter
3 cups of Chicken or Vegetable Broth
1 clove of garlic, sliced
1 TBSP of brown sugar
Salt and Pepper to taste.

Here's the trick to peel and cut through a butternut squash: You add it to a large pot of boiling water and let it boil for 5 minutes or more:

While it is boiling, chop the onion and potato:

Once the 5 minutes is up, let the butternut squash cool a minute or two and then peel, de-seed and chop:

Empty large pot from water and add butter:

Once butter is melted (medium-high heat), add the onion, potato and chopped squash:

Cook the above for 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally until it turns a bit brown (like roasted potatoes. Mind you, I hardly waited until they turned brown. Once 10 minutes was up, I moved on). Add garlic and stir for 1 minute longer. Then lower the heat to medium and add the chicken broth. Low boil it for 20-30 minutes or until the squash is soft:

Add brown sugar, salt, pepper and evaporated milk, stirring occasionally for 10 minutes longer on medium-low heat:

Ohhhhh, can't you just smell it??! No??! Scratch your screen then and sniff. I am sure you'll be able to smell it :o)

After the 10 minutes is up, ladle the soup into a blender and puree until smooth:

(if you don't have a blender, just mash it with a potato masher. It'll be just as good, just chunkier).

Serve in a big bowl with a dollop of sour cream (or without):

And in our house, if something tastes good, we are allowed to lick the bowl clean!! For your sake, I used my finger :o)

So all said and done, it'll take about an hour to make this soup, but that includes the 20-30 minutes of where it is just low boiling so you can do some other things.

But if you have a 3 year old and a 9 month old, do count on it taking at least 3 hours. I am sure if I didn't have to put one to bed, clean another's nose (wash hands), help with a toy, give some aid in the bathroom (wash hands), wake up baby, change diaper (wash hands), feed baby a bottle, and whatever else, I would easily have made this soup in under an hour. But it is SOOOO worth it because it is scrumptious and gets you in the Autumn mood, with the added bonus of your house smelling oh so yummy! So go! Try it!! And let me know if you've changed anything to improve on this recipe!

10 comments:

  1. I am glad you decided to keep blogging Michelle because I love reading about your life! That soup sounds delicious...I think I will add it to my menu...in a couple weeks. Mmmmmm...
    Lois

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so going to make this soup this weekend!! Looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got your message the other day and was planning on calling you, but I am now stuck with a cold so my voice is pretty raspy. Hopefully next week my voice is back so we can chat (and you can tell me how you liked the soup :o)

      Delete
    2. So I made this soup today, sooo good!! I doubled it ( I pretty much double everything so we can have leftovers) and I also thought as I was getting ready to add the final ingredients that maybe a little bit of this in it would taste good. So I added a little bit of this and while I was adding it I thought maybe a little bit of that would be good too. So I ended up adding a little bit of this and a little bit of that and it was perfect! Can you guess?? It was nutmeg and cinnamon. Like a pumpkin latte, not that I've ever had one but if I did I would imagine that it would be as good as this soup. Anyway, I didn't add a lot, maybe half a teaspoon of each. Can't wait to have the leftovers tomorrow!!

      Oh and I LOVED the boil the squash for easy cutting trick!!

      Delete
    3. And not only did I lick out my bowl but I also licked out the pan. :)

      Delete
    4. Thanks for the tip of adding nutmeg and cinnamon. That totally makes sense! I am glad you like it, so much so that you licked out the pan. We have that problem here, too. We actually use a spatula to get every last drop out :o)

      Delete
  3. Hi Michelle,
    I haven't made this (yet), but I have saved it to my 'recipes' favorites... One thing, I like to use a submersion blender for soups instead of a food processor or blender. It saves transferring hot soup back and forth!
    Hope you guys are well.
    Hilary Vonk (Scholtens)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hilary!! Tell me, TELL me, what is this submersion blender?? Where do you find one? That is the one thing with using a regular blender: lots of splashes from transferring.

      Delete
    2. You know one of those things you use to make milkshakes? Also called a hand blender or immersion blender? As in http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/8/KitchenBath/2/Appliances/Blenders/PRDOVR~0431929P/Cuisinart+SmartStick%AE+Hand+Blender.jsp?locale=en
      Hope you can see the link!

      Delete
    3. Duh. Now I know what you are talking about. I am SUCH a visual learner!!! Thanks for posting the link. It looks like my Sinte Klaas list has started....:o)

      Delete