Monday, December 17, 2012

M&M!!


Usually if someone asks you if you remember much from your early elementary years, not a whole lot can come to mind (depending on how long ago those early elementary years are for you :o). For me, I am thinking of a particular grade, Gr. 3. I was in this grade about 26 years ago. Although it was quite awhile ago, there are a few things that stick out in my mind from that grade. One being that I failed this grade; well, actually, I repeated this grade, a term my parents insisted on using because they said I did not "fail". I tried my best but was unable to meet the requirements to go to Gr. 4 (later those requirements were met, and then some, as I later skipped a grade).

The other thing that stands out from that year is the time I was set up with a penpal. My teacher had a friend out in Edmonton who was also teaching Gr. 3. The class lists were swapped and penpals were chosen. On the class list from Edmonton, there was another little girl with the name Michelle. And so we were put together. Little did our teachers know what they were doing :o)

Michelle and I wrote (that's right, people. Wrote. Not emailed. And yes, we still have all the letters, much to our chagrin!!)  back and forth for a few years and then met for the first time between Gr. 7 and Gr. 8. I went out to Alberta for 3 weeks with my cousin, to visit my grandparents who were living in Neerlandia. While there, we met for the first time! We booked 3 days together, that way, if we didn't get along, it wasn't too long, and if we did, it wasn't too short. Or so we thought! Thankfully, those 3 days were waaaaaay too short!!! We hit it off and that was it. As they say, the rest is history. I don't know how many trips we have visited each other back and forth over the years, but let's just say the airlines have made a lot of money off of us.

The last number of years, we have committed to visiting each other every two years, taking turns, which has worked out great!!

Despite being such good friends for more than 26 years, we had yet to celebrate a birthday together. I felt that needed to change. Without Michelle knowing :o)

So last Monday, on December 10th, which is Michelle's birthday, I surprised her by appearing in her living room. Thanks to her wonderful husband, who was in on these plans for the last month and a half and who picked me up from the airport so this surprsie could happen!! The fact that we threatened him with "you are paying for half the ticket if you tell" may have helped him to keep his mouth closed about it. If you know Ryan, that can be hard as he is quite the exuberant guy!! But he did it!!!!

Needless to say, Michelle was shocked. So shocked that for about 12 seconds I doubted my surprise, thinking that this was not a good idea. But that doubt didn't last long as it became apparent that although she was surprised, she was very happy to see me.

And so we spent Monday to Friday together, chatting, reading, chatting, relaxing, shopping, chatting, eating out, chatting, and chatting. It is such a blessing to have a friend that you can just pick up where you left off.

On to the sights of last week. We didn't see much of the sun, but I did see a bald eagle right close to their home!!

Michelle has 3 handsome boys. Here is Dylan who is 3:

Tyler, who is 7:

And Joel who is 10:

Michelle and Dylan. I LOVE this picture!!!

For the first few days, we lounged around. It was pretty rainy and wet so there wasn't a whole lot to do, which was fine with me as I didn't mind to relax at all. Wednesday I met up with another friend, who I had never met before, but was "introduced" to her a few years ago by Michelle due to the common link of adoption. We met at a coffee shop and hit it off, yakking for 2.5 hours straight. It was SO nice. Her little girl is also adopted and is 6 weeks older than Keziah. So it was neat to pass stories and chat about things with someone who has gone through very similar situations.

On Thursday, Michelle had someone look after the boys all day and night so we could spend it together. We first hit Lynden, a nice little town that is dutch. This gives it away when you enter the town:

And if the windmill doesn't convince you of the town's heritage, maybe the front page of their newspaper will!!

After browsing the secondhand stores, we headed to Fairhaven. This town is filled with shops that you just don't take kids to, nevermind boys or girls. And so we both felt this was the perfect opportunity to peruse the quaint expensive shops. We also enjoyed a yummy lunch and later a "pot of tea" (to be said in a British accent :o)

Once done with the shops, we went to see a movie, Life of Pi. It was very good. I had read the book earlier this fall and I was impressed with how well they stuck to the story. Usually I am quite disappointed. I am thankful for reading the book though as it was better. But the movie was good, too. Hey, no sex or blasephemy, and those kind of movies are hard to come by!

To top the night off, we went to Applebee's where we sat and chatted for a number of hours. I am so blessed to have this friend in my life. We have shared a lot with each other over 26 years, the ups and downs of life. And boy, have there been some ups and some downs. Although we have always lived miles apart, we can feel very close as our friendship is rooted in Christ. I pray that it may continue to be blessed.

Before I knew it, Friday came. The day to go home. While it was hard to leave, knowing who was all waiting for me back home was exciting!!

It is so neat to fly over the mountains. You are so high and every once in awhile you see a mountain tip here and there. To think, the plane is flying at an altitude of 39,000 feet!! It is so vast and it leaves me speechless. Our Creator is awesome.

I couldn't wait to get home to hug my babies, especially after flying on the day with the tragedy of Connecticut being played out everywhere on TV.

It was good for me to fly over those mountains and to take pictures of what God has created. It helps me to remember Who He is and who we are when trying to grapple with what has happened. I will never understand fully this mighty and powerful God, but that is because of my tiny and limited human mind. I do know that He is faithful when we are not. He is good, and we are not. He is perfect, and we are not. And it is this faithful, good and perfect God that we need to turn to at all times. I know, easy for me to say when I still have my two little ones to tuck into bed. But I pray that God will hold each family that has been affected by this tragedy close in His hand. And I pray that more will turn to seek His face while there is yet still time.

1 comment:

  1. You are such an amazing friend to fly out here for me!! You made my week a whole lot brighter! Thanks for being the wonderful friend you are!

    ReplyDelete