Friday, March 8, 2013

Green Goodness!

Good ol' Pinterest. Every once in awhile, I go there and check some things out. I am not overtly crafty even though I wish I were at times. But instead of going green over all the DIY quilts, pillows, frilly skirts and scarves that there's no way I'd be able to make myself, I go to the recipes because it is there that I am most successful: in my kitchen covered in flour and melted butter, or crying my eyes out from cutting onions.

While perusing the recipes, I found some green yumminess in a cup. And it didn't require choking on flour dust! In fact, it didn't even call for onions!! It is a very simple spinach smoothie. I know these have become quite the buzz the last few years and probably a lot of you drink them. But that's normal for me......it takes me awhile to like or enjoy the "trendy" things of today. I am usually behind the times in regards to food (quinoa and sushi are still not on my menu), home decor or fashion (it took me close to 4 years to like capris. And don't even get me started on coloured denim. :o)

But back to the spinach smoothie. I think what has held me back in making them was that I couldn't quite understand how spinach worked in a smoothie. Do you wash it? Do you cut it up? Do you cook it first? Do you put it in raw?? Many smoothies I saw also had ingredients that I did not have on hand, like flax seed and whatnot, and so I would give up and not even try to make them. Until last month. And I haven't stopped making them!

For those of you who are like me, here are the step by step instructions. With, of course, a picture or two, because that's just how I learn.

Here we go, the ingredients (which, by the way, are not limited to just this. But these are the basics and it tastes great just left at this)

1/2 cup of yogurt (plain, greek or flavoured)
1/2 a banana, peeled
1/2 an orange and apple, peeled and cored where necessary (leave the apple peel on)
3-5 strawberries without green stems/leaves
A handful or two of raw spinach

(again, remember, these are just the "bones" of the smoothie. You can add whatever you want. Dear hubby likes to add protein powder for his manly muscles :o)

Dump in the strawberries, yogurt, some of the orange and apple, all into a blender. Pulse it until it can run smoothly on low:

 

Add in the half banana, the rest of the 1/2 orange and apple. Puree that. Then once all things have been blended to a pulp, add in the spinach. I do this while the blender is running.


Pour into a large cup!! You may need to use a spoon or spatula to get the last bit out. You sure don't want to waste it down the drain!!

I usually drink this for breakfast. There's just something about knowing I start the day with consuming lots of fruit and veggies. If I don't eat them this way, there is no guarantee that I will eat them in their natural forms later. Besides, who feels like peeling an orange or apple, or eat a bowl full of raw spinach around 4 when hunger strikes you in the afternoon? Not I. This way I don't have to beat myself up about the fact that I haven't had any fruit or veggies yet by the time the afternoon rolls around. Now I can eat my chocolate chip cookies or whatever guilt-free because I already have had my helpings of the good stuff.

Now, GO!! Try one if you haven't! I am sure you will enjoy this very refreshing cup of green goodness!!
 
Oh, there is one downfall. If you do make this, there is a great possibility that you will never be allowed to drink all of it yourself. Hope you are good with sharing!

Who knew green mustaches would look so cute??!

7 comments:

  1. We make them all the time. In fact, the kids think its "dessert" which works great for me on a pizza night :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Feels good, eh, knowing that the kids are drinking a whole cup full of nothing but good stuff!

      Delete
  2. Ah, Michelle, you sound like me, always dragging behind the times {except with capris. I really don't like shorts and I soon learned to love capris. ;)} I, too, have been thinking about trying smoothies ... I even have a blender now that is almost brand new, (has 2 "tops"!!) which I bought a year ago for $10 and I still haven't made a smoothie. With your prodding I just may try it soon... now I need to remember to buy spinach.... (Dumb question but do you peel the apple?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, I do not peel the apple. Now, GO!!!! You will love it and regret not trying this years ago!! :o)

      Delete
  3. Oh, and I love pinterest too! Oh, the things one can find to make and do. Looking is half the fun! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. what is with the duct tape on the thumbs :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha! Someone noticed. I wondered if someone would :o) That is a whole other post on its own. Stay tuned :o)

      Delete