Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Prayers



The picture above shows many things: beauty, nature, power. Right now though, I see it depicting the many emotions that our greater church community is going through right now. 

Take the water, for instance. The water represents our lives. Sometimes life can be smooth sailing, and other times, life can be filled with trials and turmoil. You can see this in the churning of the waters, the waves that are crashing against the rocks. Lately, life has proven to be very difficult to many, leaving their lives crashing against some very difficult things to comprehend; the water is agitated, swirling all about, leaving a feeling of unrest and strife, wondering if the waters will ever cease their surging.

Then there are the splashes of water: the tears. The oh so many tears that are being shed right now; tears of grief, confusion, anxiety, and hope. Some droplets are large and will take awhile to dry up. Others are small yet still so wet. But they are there, falling fast and hard.

I see the rocks. To me, the rocks represent God, our Lord and Saviour. While the rocks may seem like an obstacle for the waves, I see it as the rock being there for the waves to crash into, a place for our tears to splash on to. It is this Rock that will not be moved, always steadfast, forever faithful, always strong, even when our lives roll and crash against it, trying to envision God's plan for each and every one of us; comprehending His reasons (if He reveals them) for how and why He takes His own to Himself in such painful ways. Just as the waves batter against the rocks, we may take comfort in knowing that our Rock is there too, to take the battering of our questions, of our hurts and fears. I see this Rock as reliable, knowing that no matter the trials in this life, when we turn to our Redeemer, our Rock, He is there. And that leave us with the hope of peaceful and still waters on the other side.

"Find rest, O my soul, in God alone; 
my hope comes from Him. 
He alone is my rock and my salvation; 
he is my fortress, I will not be shaken. 
My salvation and my honour depend on God;
he is my mighty rock, my refuge.
Trust in him at all times, O people;
pour out your hearts to him,
for God is our refuge." Ps. 62: 5-8

And lastly, the smooth waters. This represents for me the smoothness of Life, the Life living with Christ in heaven. Lately we have lost some young people, which can leave us with many questions. Yet, we take comfort in knowing where these young members are now: walking the smooth paths of heaven, where there is no pain, no tears, no confusion, no hurts.

Please join me in praying for all those who are mourning the loss of a loved one, be that well in age or young in years. And let us all hold onto our confession, that our only comfort in life and death is this:

That I am not my own,
but belong with body and soul, 
both in life and in death,
to my faithful Saviour Jesus Christ.

He has fully paid for all my sins 
with His precious blood,
and has set me free
from all the power of the devil.

He also preserves me in such a way
that without the will of my Heavenly Father
not a hair can fall from my head;
indeed, all things must work together
for my salvation.

Therefore, by His Holy Spirit
He also assures me
of eternal life
and makes me heartily willing and ready
from now on to live for Him.

(Heidelberg Catechism, Lord's Day 1).


No comments:

Post a Comment