Saturday, April 19, 2014

Have you Heard the Good News?

As I sit here looking outside, I can't help but feel lighter. No, it's not because I've been able to control my urges for Cadbury mini-eggs (ha!!!), or that my mood is lighter because the sun is shining so brightly.

Actually, the reason why I feel so much lighter is because this weekend we get to reflect on this:
 
That's right! God sent His Son to die on the cross. For you and for me. He didn't do this because we are somewhat good people, people who do right things. Oh no! In fact, it is the complete opposite! We have nothing good in us! Even the nicest person on the earth is not good. I know, this is tough to hear this, but it is true. There is absolutely nothing we can do to save ourselves from our sins. Not a single good deed, generous donation, or going to church (even twice!) every Sunday. None of it will get us to heaven after we die. Even our best intentions are tainted in sin.
 
Thankfully though, we have a Father in heaven that knew this. He knew we needed a perfect and blemish-free Saviour. He knew there was no way we could save ourselves, even if we tried. And so He did something for us that demonstrates what True Love really is.
 
He sent His Son to pay for all our sins because He Loves Us.
 
God didn't have to do this. Nope, He could have left us to our own sinful devices, living with zero Hope, without the comfort of His promises. But despite the fact that we, with Adam, turned away from Him, He still allowed His blessed Son to be nailed on the cross to die for us, so that the relationship between God and us could be restored.
 
But that's not all! We can't just stay at the cross and leave it at that. Not only did He die for us, He also arose! He defeated Death! By doing that, not only are our sins forgiven, we may live today with the view to our future: living with Him eternally. 

Ah, such amazing Love. And how liberating - to know that it is not up to me to receive His promises; that it is not up to me to earn my way into heaven. We don't obey to go to heaven. It's the other way around: we obey today because we are going to heaven. And thankfully God has given His Spirit to make my heart one of obedience. Because naturally to obey is the last thing my heart wants to do.

Easter is always a good time to reflect on how I live my life - that I live out of thankfulness for what He has done for me many, many years ago on that very dark yet most amazing weekend. I pray that this reflection carries over throughout the year, not just on Easter.

And while Easter doesn't seem to receive as much attention as Christmas, Christmas means nothing if there is no Easter (a friend stated that, and it is SO true).

May you all have a blessed Easter, and may the events of Easter give you reason to live each day for Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment