Monday, September 30, 2013

September Learnings

While this month is quite a busy one for most, it is a nice quiet one for us. Almost too quiet though. September is still an exciting month for me, filled with anticipation with the start of school. I know, I know, no one in my family is actually in school, but when you've had 26 straight Septembers of starting school in one form or another, it takes a bit of time (I'm learning) for that excitement to not be there. Oh well. I guess I am excited for everyone else then! With a 4 year break of schooling, it'll be us next year with Keziah starting Kindergarten. So I am learning to enjoy each and every day that comes my way, because in less than a year, we will be somewhat tied down to a schedule that is not made up by us.

Onto the month's learnings. Most learnings have pictures, while I've learned a few things that does not have a photo to go with it:

Keziah learned that fashion hurts. She wanted so badly to wear her princess shoes grocery shopping. I warned her that they aren't comfortable for that, but she insisted. So I relented. Not even 4 minutes into our grocery shopping (still in the produce section), she taps me on my hip and whispers "My feet hurt, mom!". Good thing I snuck her flipflops into my purse for her :o)
(apparently I need to learn how to rotate the picture once on the blog.....)

I learned that not only does this boy need a tan, he needs a haircut!

And he learned to sit still to get one!

Now if only he'll sit still so I can take a picture of him :o)

Lincoln isn't the only one that got a haircut! No, Keziah learned, much to her surprise, that getting a haircut doesn't hurt (it's been about a year and a half since her last one).

Lincoln has always loved babies. Here he is learning how to care for one. He'll make a great daddy one day (pictures before his haircut....my, what a mop!)!!

Keziah learned there are some interesting things in mommy's closet for her to dress up in. She came out of my room one day like this :o)

We all learned a tough lesson earlier this month, and that is just because someone is 4, that doesn't mean there is no reason to nap anymore. And so we are back to napping. Every afternoon.

I learned that I now have two helpers to help me with the dishwasher. Oh joy oh bliss!! A task that should take under 2 minutes was taking 8 minutes. Now with the second helper, it takes 14 minutes!! He passes her one at a time, and she puts them in the correct place. One at a time. Sigh.

I've learned to always have the Kleenex ready. For things like what I found one night just gets me all gushy. I know! It's just a couple of brooms!! I guess when you've seen your own broom stand all on its own for so many years, then yeah, this makes me a wee bit tearful. Of thankfulness.

Lincoln is learning how to use keys.

Speaking of keys, the other day while sitting in Nathan's driver's side of his truck, Keziah turned to Nathan very seriously and asked him if he would teach her how to drive. :o) That time will come before we know it!!

Lincoln has learned our nightly routine quite well, yelling "Carkepit! Carkepit!" and then lays there. He does this because he knows what comes next......daddy and wrestling!! (yes, we know our carpet is stained....time for replacing it!)

I've learned what a Scandinavian Spa is all about, thanks to my sister. However I did not take any pictures but one:
What does that have to do with a Scandinavian Spa, you ask?! Well, we left the night before and spent the whole next day together. Of course that means chocolate!!

Lincoln has learned to tell me when he is going to the bathroom. Me? I am learning to ignore him. I so do not want to train him yet. Training is hard work!!! But nevertheless, I still stick him on the "loilet" just for fun. At least he isn't scared of it!
Oh, and I've learned that if I am not ready to train him, someone else will for me!!

And when she is not busy training him, she has learned how to be a puppy! Her imagination cracks us up!

* I learned that Keziah apparently does not know all her body parts. The other day she came running to me, crying "Mom, I hurt my ankle!!!". She was holding her elbow. :o)

* I also learned that life can be more interesting when thrown for a loop...like getting a call for Keziah to have surgery 2 days later! (other blog)

But I think the most valuable lesson we all learned this month was to LOOK before using the facilities!!!

Any guesses as to the mischief maker? I'll give you a hint.....

Don't let that innocent look fool you! I am still learning that...:o)

2 comments:

  1. Love it!! All of it, but especially the shoes in the toilet! It's always funny when it happens to someone else! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hilarious post ... loved the shin pads with high heels, the grocery shopping in princess shoes, and of course the shoes in the toilet! Funny how the word "elbow" is so hard to remember - Mira told me the other day when she scraped her elbow that she had hurt her hip :)

    ReplyDelete