Wednesday, February 5, 2014

UnPinning My Pins - Number 1

So last week I committed to doing some of my Pinterest Pins for various reasons, the lack of motivation being the top one. And it's a good thing, too!! Today we are reminded again that it is Winter. We are enjoying another snowstorm which could leave us with another 25 cm of snow. Oh well. Might as well enjoy its whiteness while it is here. Besides, when the sun comes out it just looks so glorious out there.

I chose a simple activity for my first one, one that got me sitting with my girl. We did some Easy Salt Painting. (http://www.pinterest.com/pin/251709066647746685/)

All ready to go: construction paper, glue, table salt, little containers with water and food colouring, paintbrushes and one very eager child.


Keziah needed help with the first step, which was to make a design with glue. We picked a flower.

Once done with the glue, it was time to shake some salt on it:


And then time to dab our design with our coloured water, using a paintbrush.

 And that is when we encountered our first problem. Are you surprised? I mean, there's got a be a problem as it is Pinterest after all, where it is more common for the end result to look nothin' like what you pinned. Where are the brightly coloured designs like it shows on the website that I got this idea from??

Well, thankfully the problem was easily fixed. And I should admit that the problem wasn't Pinterest, but my reading. I kind of missed that part where it said to add food colouring to a few drops of water, not a boatload. Oops. So we corrected it, started over with a new design and tada!! Much better results:




 
It was a simple neat little thing to do; when you dab the food colouring to the salt, the colour spreads, so that was cool. All in all, she had fun and that's what counts!!

There is more than just the feeling of something accomplished being a plus to this commitment of unpinning. Now that I am actually doing what I pin, I can say that  perusing through Pinterest is no longer an idle activity, which means I can do more of it ;)

Next week, in honour of Valentine's Day, I hope to do this:
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/39476934207581320/

1 comment:

  1. I like!! Who needs pins and pintrest when there's your blog?? I'm going to try this with Dylan! I look forward to your next one! :)

    ReplyDelete