Monday, February 17, 2014

Winterlude!

So far this winter, I have given off the impression that I do not like this season, which would make you question why we would drive numerous hours to enjoy, get this, Winterlude of all things. That's because I should let you in on something - what I don't like about winter is the amount of stress that happens with every snowfall due to loved ones being in the snow business. However, what I love about winter, and especially this winter, is all the sparkly snow, the fresh crisp air, and the sun. Usually the colder it is, the sunnier it is. And I love that about winter. And this winter there has been no shortage of the white stuff or of the sun.

So yes, we packed up the kids and all their junk paraphernalia, including now a potty because someone was being trained, and off we went to Ottawa. And what a great time we had!! Lots of outdoor and indoor activities as the pictures will show you. Unfortunately, the young man was sick which was too bad, but we still made the best of it.

We left 2 days after a snowstorm, which meant seeing lots of this - 7 to be exact. It reminded us of driving down in the States, where we can often count dead deer along the sides of the highway.


We stayed in the Minto Suites where we have stayed before. We love it there! And the best part of staying in a hotel?! Why, jumping on the beds, of course! Especially because that is not allowed at home :o)


Sick boy :o( I love it when he is sick. He is sooooo cuddly and snuggly and cute. Well, I don't love it that he is sick, but I love what he needs from me.


Someone enjoyed her double bed, not only for jumping on, but for stretching out in!

Nathan took Keziah out to walk around the Parliament Buildings and to check out the ice sculptures.


A few days later, even though Lincoln still was not feeling the best, we still threw the kids into the bike trailer/stroller, and biked on the Rideau Canal. We knew we'd probably pay for it by not helping Lincoln in getting over his cold, but we figured we just *had* to skate on the world's longest skating rink. You see, you don't go to Ottawa's Winterlude and not skate on the Canal!




Not only is skating on the Rideau a must, but so is eating a Beaver Tail.....or 2.


When we weren't outside enjoying this beautiful winter, we were inside, enjoying each other's company and cheering on Canada as the Olympics had started. I even was spoiled with a pedicure!


Swimming was a hit!! We learned that Lincoln has lost his braveness when it comes to the water. He was quite scared and would not let go! We are thankful for that - especially with a pool in our backyard, meaning, he has fear - a good fear of the pool. Last year he did not.


And so, after some blessed quality time together as a family, we headed home. I don't know about you, but I have this every time:  I am just as excited to come home with my family as I was to go away with my family! We praise God for allowing us to enjoy this trip together, and for safe travels. 

No comments:

Post a Comment