Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Finally!!! Christians Get Depressed Too - Final Chapter and Book Review

Well, after searching for not too long, I found the book back (note to self: put the folded laundry away right away!!), however what's been harder to find is time!

I do have some now, so here is the final blog post on the book, Christians Get Depressed Too by David Murray.

Appendix - On the Sufficiency of Scripture: Salvation, Sanctification, and Spectacles

Summary
Murray uses this space to let us know that while the Bible does not give detailed guidance on every moral and spiritual issue (can you imagine how large a book it'd be?!), we are not left hanging. In fact, Murray (using the Westminster Confession) says the teachings in the Bible are fivefold:
  1. the Bible's instruction is exact and precise
  2. if the Bible does not have a particular verse for a specific situation, we must reason and apply from general principles, also known as the instruction of "good and necessary consequence"
  3. God uses secondary areas of knowledge in the human community that we may go to seek advice from, known as "sanctified common sense" or "light of nature"
  4. While the Bible does not cover any subject exhaustively, it covers all things "necessary for God's glory, man's salvation, faith and life". The Bible tells us everything we need to know, but it does not tell us everything there is to know. pg. 104
  5. To understand the Scripture as the Gospel, we need the Holy Spirit to help us.
Murray then tackles two from the above list, number 2 and number 3.

"Good and Necessary Consequence"
  • we may not find an answer in the Bible to our specific situation, we will find guidelines/principles that we can apply, as well as prayer
  • Eg. "What job will I do?" - nowhere in the Bible will it tell you specifically which job you should take, but there are sufficient general guidelines to use to help you make a decision, like, will the job allow me to use the gifts God has given me? Will the hours hinder or help in my service for God? Will it provide enough for my family and others?
"The Light of Nature"
  • Murray reminds us that although the Scriptures is sufficient, that doesn't mean God hasn't placed wise and knowledgeable people amongst us. In fact, He has! But as he quotes from John Piper, he reminds us that "all other knowledge stands under the judgment of the Bible."
  • Murray also quotes John Calvin, who used the illustration of 'spectacles': "The Bible is not only what we read, but what we read with."
So, knowing then that the truth about salvation and salvation is set in Scriptures, as well as knowledge from this world that must be checked by Scriptures, this proves that Scripture is "everything (needed) pertaining to life and godliness" 2 Peter 1:3.

Murray ends his book, confirming that the Bible "tells us where we are and where to go and provides all the essential markers to get us there.....we, therefore, plot our course in this world with the chart of Scripture in our hands and the compass of the Holy Spirit in our hearts."

My Thoughts (of this and whole book)
I really enjoyed this appendix. After reading it, I was once again faced with the feelings of such thankfulness for the gift of His Word, and the sufficiency of It.

As for the whole book, I must say I learned a lot. I recognized some aspects of what he wrote in myself. For example, I was parenting solo last week. It was amazing how many "false thought patterns" that entered my head when I was starting to feel overwhelmed. By God's grace, using this book and the Holy Spirit, I was able to recognize some of these thoughts (eg. I am a useless mother and do such a crappy job of it) and pray about them.

I found Murray to be solid in the Scriptures, which is always such a good foundation. I also enjoyed his frankness, not beating around the bush at times, especially when speaking of whether it is unbelief in God that is a reason of/for depression.

I would certainly recommend this book, and have already since I've read it.

Your Thoughts
So. What did you think? Did you enjoy the book (or, as some of you said....you don't have the book but read the summaries)? Would you recommend this book to anyone? What was your "take home" of this book?

Prayer Points:
  • for all those who are suffering from depression and anxiety
  • for wisdom to know how to care and be there for those placed on my path
  • thankfulness for the fact that God has given the gift of the Scriptures
  • thankfulness for His mercy, grace and peace
  • thankfulness for people like David Murray
  • that what I have learned from this book I may be able to apply in my life
Seeing as this is it, that means we have come to the conclusion of our 2nd Book Talk. I thank you very much for following along, whether by reading the book or the summaries. I hope it was beneficial to you as it has been for me. May God bless you in whatever situation you may find yourself in! And may you continue to look in His Word for guidance in this life.

No comments:

Post a Comment