Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Adjusting to the Shock

I better clarify and not let the title give the wrong impression. Yes, I am adjusting to some shock, but it is not the kind that you need to worry about. Everyone is good here. So let me explain the title. (And no, I don't expect you to feel sorry for me :o)

Yesterday I was sitting on a beach lounge placed on white sand, hearing the waves crash into shore, enjoying the steady breeze that was welcomed to take the edge off of the 29 degree (that would be in celsius. Just clarifying...) sun rays that were streaming down onto my sunscreen-plastered body.

Today, I am staring out my window, seeing the bright sun (the very same sun that burnt me the last 8 days!) shine down onto the beautiful white sand snow. You would think that the temperature difference would be the biggest adjustment.  Going from a week of 27, 28 or 29 degrees down to 0 is a huge change. But it's not the biggest. It's actually the easiest one to adjust to. There are a whole lot more other things that are harder to adjust to after spending a relaxing 8 days in beautiful Mexico (feel sorry for me yet?? No??? Maybe you will once you keep reading....:o).

The biggest thing to adjust to is: Reality. With a capital "R". Actually, all the letters should be in caps. You see, Reality doesn't wait for you to catch up to it. No, it's there, smack in the face instantly.

It was there when I got up first thing this morning. I wanted to do what I have done the last 7 mornings. Get up, dress into my bathing suit, slather myself with sunscreen, search for my sunglasses, pack my beach bag and slip on my flipflops. But no, out came Reality, through the socks, jeans, long-sleeved sweater and woolen undies. The fact that I woke up alone should have given me the first clue that Reality was not waiting for me. There was no "office" in Mexico, which meant I woke up with my hubby. At the same time!!!

Walking into the kitchen was the next thing that spoke Reality. Can you believe that no one was cooking me a crepe? That if I wanted a fried egg, I had to do it myself?! That there weren't more choices than cheerios in the cupboard? I know, I know! How unfair!! Who does the grocery shopping here anyway?!

The next big adjustment came when I picked up the kids and took them home. After not seeing them since last week Monday (9 nights!!!!), I was excited to see them, that's for sure!! They were having a great time...and who wouldn't?? They had an aunt and uncle, as well as 5 cousins at their beck and call! Yes, they were being very spoiled well-cared for by Nathan's sister and her family, who found out that their niece and cousin is a very different child once comfortable; not the shy and timid girl they see at family gatherings (can't say I didn't warn them..she is 3.5 years old afterall. That's a warning in itself! :o).

I was prepared for this reality check of having the kids again though. But talk to me in a few days.....I don't think you can ever be completely prepared to go from doing absolutely nothing for 8 days to looking after a 3 and 1 year old.

But wait, this is not all! I haven't been home for more than a day and yet Reality strikes again: when I came home, my bed wasn't made!!! You mean I have to do that myself now again??!

I must say, though, despite reality smacking me in the head, I am loving it. Yes, dear hubby and I had a fantastic time in Mexico (pictures to come in the next post); although it was such a wonderful break from the regular tasks, there is something to be said about real life. And we were excited and thankful with what our "real life" looks like, which includes many blessings, but these two definitely top  most of them.


And so we are home now, eager to take on these tasks we've been given. But first, off to enjoy my daily siesta so I can be all fresh and ready to enjoy a night out at one of the 7 a la cartes.

Oh wait......that's right. Reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment