Monday, July 15, 2013

Weekend Fun!!

My mom has never been one who insists her kids are home every weekend or at Christmas or Thanksgiving. She has always understood that it is a balancing act between two sides of the families during the holidays. She loves it if we are there, but completely understands if we have chosen either the "other" side (husband's side) of the family to visit or to just stay nicely home with our own little family.

Knowing that it can be tough to hit both sets of families during holidays like Easter and Mother's Day, my mom set up a day in July which we have made Family Day. It works great as it doesn't conflict with Nathan's family like the other main holidays can. And so, one Saturday in July for the last number of years, we have gotten together as a family at my parents' cottage. Most of the family is there, and the cousins have great times together!

My mom and dad have 12 grandchildren, but one must count my dad as a child as well. If the grandchildren get riled up, we usually have to pull dad out of there first in order to get the kids calm. As is often the case, it is my dad who is the last one to calm down (he sure makes our kids look great as it is usually my mom still getting dad in trouble while our kids have all listened :o)

So you can imagine who started the water fight! :o) And size of child wasn't a factor here.

Once Opa was soaked, this mischievous stinker went around looking for someone else to get wet.

My parents' cottage is on a lake, which is man-made. The water level by this time is usually much lower but due to all the rain we've received, the water level was so high, hence the dock that looks like it's in the middle of the lake.

Watching all the fun in the lake!

I also went in the lake. My parents have had this cottage for 15 or so years and I cannot remember the last time I swam in that lake. You see, I am not a lake swimmer at all - unless I can see my feet. My mind goes crazy about all the fish and water life that may be swimming near me and I panic that a fish will nibble on my toes, which I think look like worms in the water. Please tell me I am not the only one like this! :o) But Saturday was h.o.t. and so I swam. For a few minutes. And I came out with all my toes intact.

It was a fun day!! We took up our trailer the night before which worked out well. By the time supper was done on Saturday, we were ready to head home. The beauty of the cottage is that it is only a 45 minute drive. Not far at all, but once you are there, you think you are up north on a holiday.

Thanks, mom and dad, for a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment