Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Tough Mudder!!!!

Way back, and I mean waaaaaaaay back in August of last year, Nathan and I did something that we often still talk about today. It was amazing, exhilarating, adrenaline-rushing and just so much fun.

While it was Nathan's second time, it was my first - but it won't be my last! I am talking about Tough Mudder. Have you heard of it? If not, here's a quick recap: it's an obstacle course that is very long (ours was 16.5 km long) and filled with obstacles (at least 15) that test your mental and physical abilities and fears.

 Nathan completed this course almost two years ago, which I blogged about here. I didn't do it then, as, well, the team needed a photographer. So I graciously - cough, cough - put my goal of completing Tough Mudder to the back burner and took pictures for them.

But not the second time around! I was determined (once I made the decision to do this) to check this off my Bucket List! And I am so glad I did. And to do it with my hubby?! Well, that was the icing on the cake! I am so thankful we did this together.

But on to the pictures. We did have someone take pictures but due to it raining most of the day, she wasn't able to take her camera out much or else it would have gotten ruined. So the following is a mixture of both hers and from the Tough Mudder website.

Enjoy!

Here is the course that we completed and here is our team, 'cause that's what it is all about: teamwork:

Ready to go and before we even started, we had this to climb:

 
And then, off we went to conquer the first of many obstacles. Please excuse some of the names of the obstacles......they are not my picks.

Glory Blades -from website:

Mud Mile -from website. We did this twice through, once at the beginning and then again near the end. By the second time, we were jumping in mud up to our chins. It was absolute slime, but oh so fun!! (people *pay* for this at spas....:o)

Just the Tip - website:


Devil's Beard -website:

Arctic Enema - jumping in a large bin of ice water, and had to go under a piece of wood to get to the other side. Yup. Freezing. Just in case you can't see or recognize the people due to their expressions, this is Nathan and I ;o) I have pictures of the rest of the team, but I don't have their permission to share it here......and seeing their expressions as they are dealing with the frigid water? Well, I don't dare share it here without their permission for fear of their wrath :o)

Berlin Wall - website:

Walk the Plank - website:

Ladder to Hell - website:

Everest - website:


Balls to the Walls - website:
 
Funky Monkey - website

Kiss of Mud - from the website but found some pictures of our team: Nathan, Rich, Jenn, Chris and Jay. I did do it as well, but didn't make it on the website
 





And to get to the finish line, we had to go through this: Electroshock Therapy - website:

One of the biggest obstacles for this course, were the hills. We had to climb up some of the steepest ski hills, not once, or twice, but *six* times. Up 6 times, down 6 times. And remember, it was pouring rain pretty much the whole day, which made those hills incredibly slippery - so slippery that the only safe way down was on our butts. Yup, Tough Mudder totally lived up to its name!


It took awhile to get all the mud out of our shoes!

But man, was it fun!! Yes, training is pretty much needed (mostly for the hills) to complete this course. Nathan completed every obstacle but the Funky Monkey one and Just the Tip; I attempted every obstacle but fell in trying to complete the Just the Tip and Funky Monkey one. You *do* have the choice to skip an obstacle - but you would have to live with yourself knowing that. ;o) So, we hope to do this again in the near future - wanna join us?!

4 comments:

  1. Well . . . when I see the pictures I think two things! One - that looks really fun! Two - that looks really hard!! I don't think I am up to doing this anytime soon, but Jonathan has been wanting to do one for quite a while!! So maybe I will follow your lead and observe and take pictures the first time around and then maybe join in the next time. Send us details when you have them!
    Good job on accomplishing this. I can only imagine the exhilaration you must have felt at the end of it all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, fun and very hard, all at once. It took me a week to replenish my energy. But it was oh so exhilarating. It's amazing what you get accomplished when running on adrenaline.

      Delete
  2. Love it! Do they have beginning of April? We could join you! :)

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, not April, but they do in May......so you can always come back :o) Besides, Ryan has already done the CN Tower stairs with Nathan, next is Tough Mudder!!

      Delete