Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Motivated Lately?

I don't know about you, but lately, like as in ever since the first snowfall, I've been struggling with motivation. The fact that we haven't seen grass in 2.5 months, or that there are 3-4 foot drifts outside, or that your snot freezes in your nose in 3.4 seconds due to it being -25 may have something to do with this.

Yup, it is Winter. And while we live in Canada and all of the above is kind of what we expect to have, it doesn't make each and every day easy with two little kids at home. The days can be very long, especially when stuck indoors due to bone-chilling gusty winds. And as the winds blow around outside, it manages to blow not only the snow everywhere, but it takes my motivation and whips it across the lands, to a far, far place.

I do the basics: get dressed (phew, eh?! ;), dress my kids, feed my family, clean the house. I read to the kids, spend time with them, but the Winter Blahs are hanging around while I live my days as wife and mother. I yearn for Spring.

But a fact is a fact: it is only January. Spring is a looooong ways off. And while I am busy dreaming of green grass, flowers sprouting, sending the kids outside, going for walks etc., my Today is slipping by without fully enjoying it. And this is not the way to live, if I am to live as a Christian. This does not reflect thankful living, content in all circumstances; instead it creates a restlessness and impatience that taints the atmosphere.

Well, seeing as we have a good month to two months yet of Winter to go yet, it is time to shake those Winter Blahs and bury them under the snow and time to dust the snow off my Motivation. One of the things to help me with this (devotions and exercise is already being implemented), is good ol' Pinterest. Please tell me you know about Pinterest. If not, check it out - but know that once you are on, to get back out can be a very, very, very, hard thing to do. :o)

Pinterest can be a complete waste of time or it can be a really neat way to find/do/create/ things. I go in spurts with Pinterest, going for weeks without touching it, then checking it out, pin a few things and then leave it. And that's the problem. I leave it. Meaning, I don't do anything with the things I pin. It's easy to pin as I am sure you are well aware of, but to actually do a pin is another story. Right now, I have a number of boards:

Fitness - 5 pins.
Recipes - 55 pins.
Kids Games/Ideas - 24 pins.
Home Décor - 17 pins.
Crafts - 11 pins
Basement Renos - 6 pins.
Cleaning Tips - 5 pins. (ha! Completely forgot about this board...oops)
Keziah's Bedroom - 2 pins.
Kids' Books - 1 pin
Quotes - 12 pins.
Hair and Beauty - 10 pins.
Parenting Tips - 4 pins (time to find some more for this one....)
Bathroom Ideas - 7 pins
Kids' Bathroom Ideas - 2 pins.
Photography Ideas - 4 pins.

That would be 165 pins altogether (if my Math is correct..). And you know how many I've done since I've started Pinterest? I think maybe, 3? That leaves 162 pins to go yet.

And that brings us back to Motivation. While looking through Pinterest, I am all 'motivated', but not really. Sure, I am motivated to pin, but that's it! I need to step it up a notch. Motivation needs to get married to Commitment. And so that is what I hope to do for the next few months.

I am motivated to commit to ONE pin a week.

Of course, that means I won't be doing 162 pins before Spring arrives (especially if I keep adding Pins to my Boards), however, it's a start.

To keep me motivated and committed, I hope to document the pin - the process, the befores and afters, all with pictures and then share it with you here every week. Now that's accountability, isn't it?! Yikes.

I managed to find a wee bit of Motivation this week already, brushing off a corner of it. What did I do? I got outside and played with Keziah. That's a BIG deal for me - did I mention it's -28 out there with the wind chill?! But I own snow gear, so really, there is no excuse. While out there, we painted the snow. We did this last year, and I didn't get this idea from Pinterest, however I believe it still counts. It is something that I have thought of doing with her since the first snowflake landed. Yes, that was 2 months ago. And guess what?! It was good for me! That fresh air was good for the mind and spirit. And so was watching my daughter have fun, not noticing or caring how cold it was, only concentrating on her designs in the snow:



For next week, I would like to do this with Keziah:
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/251709066647746685/

And if you have a whacks of pins on Pinterest that have just been sitting there, I invite you to join me in actually doing them. And I'd love to know what you do, whether it works or not. So if you'd like to, share in the comments.

 Let's DO this!!! Let's kick those Winter Blahs outside for good, and let that wind carry them away so we don't see them again this season. :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment