Friday, January 3, 2014

The New Year

Folks, whether you like it or not, it is 2014!! Do you remember the whole Y2K hype, 14 years ago? Many predicted the world was going to come to a crashing halt. And if not the world, definitely all our computer systems. Many people packed and stored up food, water and the basic necessities of life in preparation for everything standing still while technology figured out how to deal with the two zeros.  I don't recall even a blip or malfunction of any system.

And here we are, 14 years later, putting 2013 behind us as we enter 2014. How was 2013 for you? Good? Difficult? Joyful? More ups than downs? Uneventful? Was it what you expected? Did you achieve much?

What is your mindset going into 2014? With groans? With rejoicing? Eager for a "re-do"? Of new resolutions, promises and hopes?

I will admit that for years, I wasn't always the most eager for a new year. I welcomed a new year always with a bit of trepidation. I would be nervous and filled with apprehension of the unknown of what will all happen in the new year. I would look at the past year, think of all the difficult things I or others have gone through - losing loved ones, losing dreams, having to deal with life-alternating situations, health problems, loss of jobs, broken relationships, hurts and well, you name it. And then I would bring all those "losses" into the new year and wonder what will this year be filled with.

Pretty pessimistic thinking, eh? And not only pessimistic, but even worse, how un-trusting (I know that's not a word, but I think you know what I mean). To go into a year with hesitation, doubt and even a degree of dread is such an insult to God. I spend so much time focusing on all the difficult things of the past year, that I can fail to recognize the many blessings we've received from Him as well! In fact, there have been many blessings of 2013 that I haven't even recognized!

Sure we don't know what is in store for us in 2014. And yes, you and I will most likely have to deal with some very difficult trials, but we may go forward with one thing that remains steadfast and has remained steadfast since before the beginning of time, and that is God. He doesn't always choose the path we would choose, but knowing that He is walking with us every step of the way, every single day of 2014 is something to put my apprehension and foreboding aside.

We may enter this year with His words:

"You hem me in - behind and before;
 you have laid your hand upon me. 
Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
too lofty for me to attain. 

Where can I go from your Spirit? 
Where can I flee from your presence? 
If I go up to the heavens, you are there; 
if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. 
If I rise on the wings of the dawn, 
if I settle on the far side of the sea, 
even there your hand will guide me,
your right hand will hold me fast." Ps. 139: 5-9

It is our prayer that we will hold these words close to our hearts as we travel through 2014. And may you also feel His presence near you.

(*I am not one to make yearly resolutions due to the fact that I don't like promising things that I know I'll just fail in anyway. Making daily resolutions is hard enough for me to achieve, never mind yearly ones. I will not promise to lose weight, to work out more, or be better at daily devotions, or have more patience for my children, or serve others more, or even blog more. I'd rather just take a few hours at a time, not try to tackle a new change for a whole year. But speaking of blogging,  I do hope to spend the next couple of days updating the blog from the last 3 weeks. It'll mostly be pictures - yay! so stay tuned!! :o)

1 comment:

  1. Ecclesiastes 7:13-14
    13 Consider the work of God;
    For who can make straight what He has made crooked?
    14 In the day of prosperity be joyful,
    But in the day of adversity consider:
    Surely God has appointed the one as well as the other,
    So that man can find out nothing that will come after him.
    (NKJV)

    Reverend A did our New Year's Eve service and his text was the Bible passage above. It's good to be reminded that God doesn't make mistakes even if we would like to change our situation.

    Belated Happy New Year to you and your loved ones.

    ReplyDelete