Thursday, March 27, 2014

36

So it's my birthday today. I don't know who is more excited - me or Keziah :o) The other day she said, "Mom, I know what I am going to get you for your birthday but I won't tell you. It's just something you can sleep with.". Love that girl! :o)

Birthdays don't scare me. I don't mind my age. I don't fear about getting older. In fact, I find birthdays pretty special, especially as I get older. I know, I am not old really, but it just feels like such a blessing that I am now 36 years old. I have been blessed with 36 years so far. Healthy, happy, blessing-filled 36 years. 36 years of growth, spiritually, emotionally, mentally, and yes, physically. And through all 36 years God has been faithful. So much to be thankful for today.

To celebrate my birthday, I figured I would list 36 things about me that you may not know. This list is teeny tiny as to what I am all about, but it is just a glimpse. So here we go and enjoy!

1. I love eating pretzels dipped in butter.

2. I believed in spaghetti trees when I was a little girl.

3. I am an extrovert. I know, this one shocks you, eh?

4. I've climbed the CN Tower. Twice. And it's not because the elevator was broken. It was for, get this, fun. All 1776 steps.

5. One of my favourite things to drink is milk - with a dropje in my mouth. MMmmm!!! (those that don't know what a dropje is, it is a very black candy, somewhat licorice except very salty).

6. I do not like coffee. At all. I will drink tea if I am really, really cold. But water is my drink of choice, preferably room temperature and with no ice. Ice hurts my teeth.

7. Speaking of drinks, I am allergic to alcohol. Poor Nathan, who would just love for me to enjoy a glass of wine with him.

8. In college, I worked at different places, one of them being Jack Fraser, a men's clothing company (like Tip Top or Moores). For one month I was the top part-time sales person in all of Canada.

9. I do not like animals. Of any kind. I'm scared of them all. The only way I can enjoy them is behind a screen, glass or cage. And that includes gerbils, hamsters, kittens and puppies. Actually, I have more tolerance for snakes and spiders than a puppy.

10. My favourite colour is purple.

11. I've had stitches 3 times (6 stitches, 3 stitches and 2 stitches) as a child, thanks to two of my cousins and my older sister. I was the innocent victim each time. Ahem.

12. I have broken most of my fingers, as well as my ankle, my wrist and cracked some ribs, popped the vertebrae in my back, and pulled ligaments in my knee, all in separate incidences but all to do with Sports.

13. I met Nathan when I was 14. I didn't see him again until 3 years later, and we started dating. Someone may have needed to grow up a bit. What? Don't look at me.....;o)

14. I am ambidextrous.

15. My favourite chocolate bar is Skor.

16. I can pass up brownies, cake, and cookies, but will polish off a 9 x 13 pan of Rice Krispies in one sitting.

17. My front tooth is mostly fake. I thought I'd try to taste the pool slide.

18. I love downhill skiing, and have had the privilege to ski in the States, Quebec and Banff.

19. I do not like ketchup, mustard or relish. But Mayo? Yummy!!! (but don't you dare substitute Miracle Whip for Mayo)

20. When I was a kid, we had a pet turtle, Snorkie. He didn't last long and so dad told us he buried Snorkie under a rock. My sister and I spent hours upturning every single rock, looking for our dearly loved pet. We never did find him back.

21. If I did not pluck my eyebrows, I would have one.

22. I love to read - but have zero tolerance for anything Sci-Fi.

23. I remember falling into a red ant home and getting bitten everywhere. I was 2.5.

24. My nickname (by my mom) is Mickey Mouse, and she will still call me "Mic". I will not share the nickname given to me by my father.

25. I tend to be opinionated, which can be fine sometimes, except my opinions are not always educated. I am working on that....

26. Growing up, I always wanted to be a mother of 6 kids. All boys. And yes, I even had names picked out at an early age

27. I don't like my food touching each other on my plate. Buffets are very dramatic for me....meaning I go up about 15 times more than the average person, just so I can eat my ceasar salad without it mixing in with my potato salad.

28. I knew I wanted to be a teacher since I was very young, thanks to my Gr. 3 teacher who influenced me in such a positive way.

29. Hockey and football are my favourite sports to watch. Soccer and baseball are my favourite sports to play.

30. I am afraid of the dark. Big time.

31. I struggle with today's fashions, usually finally liking the fashion trend as they are going out

32. I moved out when I was 18 to go to college.

33. When the kids are older, I want to get my motorcycle license. I love riding!!

34. I hate fractions.

35. I had 11 years of piano lessons, but to this day, to play in front of someone scares me to death.

36. Value Village is where I go when I need a breather. I love, love, love second hand/thrift store shopping. As for the mall? I am there maybe 3 times a year. It just overwhelms me.

And there you have it! 36 little tidbits. I am sure you can relate to a few of these things, or am I really that unique?

Anyway, now you know me a little better. And we haven't even scraped the surface. Oh well. If I am blogging still at 100, maybe that'll leave a dent. All in all, I am thankful for today, to be able to celebrate this birthday with those dearest to me: my husband, daughter and son. Oh, I love them all!!

Have a good day!!

10 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday, Michelle! I'll add another tidbit about you that IS obvious to all of your readers. You are an honest, open, caring Godly woman who brings a breath of fresh air into many of our homes on a regular basis, helping keep us grounded and thankful in our own situations ... even those of us who don't really know you. May God continue to bless you and yours richly in the coming year.
    LML

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ummm, I don't know what to say. Thank you? Those words were very kind of you. I pray then also that this blog may continue to be that. I write this all for myself as well, to keep me grounded and thankful. I often read back what I've written to remind myself.

      (P.S. LML.....hmmmm. My blog readers/commenters sure like to keep me guessing as to who they are. Once again, I am stumped :o)

      Delete
    2. I'm one of your mom's childhood neighbours/friends ... the ones she gets together with every March when I'm in Ontario for my mom's birthday (96 this year ... can't wait to read your list when you're that age!) ... you and I met in BC a number of years ago, although you probably don't remember.

      Delete
  2. Happy Birthday!! I second the above comment...could not have said it better!
    Hope you are getting spoiled! God bless, Dianne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dianne!! And yes, I was spoiled.....pictures to come yet :o)

      Delete
  3. Happy Birthday Michelle! Hope your day was great! Loved the list. Very fun to read and I don't think I knew most of that stuff about you, so I am now a little more educated. Thanks for sharing! If only you'd drink coffee, I'm sure we could be friends;) JK. I think we have plenty in common . . . and if I don't keep losing my nerve with age, I'd join you on the motorcycle. (always wanted to that too someday when I grow up)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Denise, yes, my day was enjoyable! Oh, how Nathan also wishes I would enjoy a drink with him, whether that be coffee or wine. To sit and relax together at night with a glass of.....water, just doesn't cut it :o). And I hear you about losing nerve as we age. However, being on Nathan's motorcycle keeps nerves down. Roller coasters? Now that takes a whole lot more nerve for me than it did when I was younger!!

      Delete
  4. Great list! I just need to know: what did fractions do to make you hate them? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They confused me too much. And they made (make) me look dumb as everyone else seemed (seems) to understand them.

      Delete
  5. My two front teeth are mostly fake as well... the pool didn't agree with me either! And I completely get you on the fashion one, I finally start liking it when its on its way out! Great list! Thanks for sharing.
    Marcia

    ReplyDelete