Wednesday, February 3, 2016

February Foto Fun Day 3: Books

Ah, books. How I looooooove books. I don't remember ever *not* liking to read. I remember being read to and reading on my own as a child. My favourites were Little House on the Prairie, Ramona books and the Mandie Books. I have already bought the Little House on the Prairie set for Keziah, hoping to start reading them to her next year; but I have yet to find any Mandie books. I look every time when I hit the second hand stores, as well as Kijiji, but so far, nothing. If you have some and are selling them - let me know!! :)

I read through all my childhood, teenage years and now adulthood. I feel very restless when I don't have a book to read, even if it's not a good one.

So, what do I read now as an adult? Well there is one thing for sure: you will never, ever, ever find me reading a fantasy book. Ever. I despise those books. I have only read one Harry Potter book (because I had to for college). I haven't gone near any of the Lord of the Rings, or the Hunger Games. I haven't even read The Hobbit. gasp. I know. I just think they are so, well, stupid (?). Don't worry, I am used to people looking at me like I am crazy when I mention this......oh well. Will you still be my friend?! :)

Oh, and I tend to stay far away from Christian fiction. Gag (most of them anyway).

The books I *do* enjoy reading are documentary type books, non-fiction and fiction. I love reading books about culture and different countries that open my eyes to "what's out there". But no matter how much I love a book, I will never, ever, ever read it again, unlike a few of my friends. I just do not understand why you would read a book again when you know the ending.

Anyway, picture. That is what this is supposed to be isn't it? Pictures not essays?!

When I am not reading this one for the 75 671st time,

or when I am not doing Keziah's "Snuggle Up and Read" books from school,

I am reading my own books. Right now, my nose is in one of these books throughout the day:

And these books are calling me also, as well as the 9 books I have on hold at the library.

My favourite books to read to the kids are these ones. They are absolutely hilarious!!

And my favourite book to read to them about their adoptions is this:

Some of the more recent books I have read that stick in my mind because I loved them so much are:

  • Life of Pi
  • Me Before You
  • A Mountain Between Us
  • Nothing to Envy: Ordinary Lives in North Korea
  • A Walk Across the Sun
  • A Light Between Oceans
  • The Forgotten Garden
  • The Lost Wife
  • These is My Words (1st of 3)
  • Language of Flowers
  • Tiny Sunbirds, Far Away
  • Letters to My Daughters
Just a few for you in case you are looking for something to read. 

So do you have any good suggestions for me? Keep in mind: no fantasy or christian fiction (unless it is not cheesy.....) Happy reading!!

Day 4 is next: Changes to Come

3 comments:

  1. A few favourite books I have recently read:
    The Pearl that Broke Its Shell by Nadia Hashimi
    When the Moon is Low by Nadia Hashimi
    Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See
    The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd
    Room by Emma Donoghue
    Little Princes by Conor Grennan
    Left Neglected by Lisa Genova
    A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you have mentioned some more of my favourites as well: The Pearl That Broke Its Shell, Room, and A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. I did read Left Neglected as well....but I haven't read the others you mention, so I shall add them to my list of "What to Read". Thanks for sharing!!

      Delete
  2. I have a couple Mandie books for sale... sent you a facebook message :)
    Jocelin

    ReplyDelete